hiv-2

hi there. i hope you can answer this tough question. how likely is it i have been infected with hiv-2? all my hiv-1 tests are neg. but i used bleached needles with an hiv+ man in massachusetts. then i heard there are like 10 people in Mass. that have Hiv-2. this guy isn't west african, he was born in u.s,how do i know his level of contact with west africans, and more importantly how do i know he really has hiv-1 instead of 2? we talked alot about him having hiv, but he always referred to it as hiv, and not hiv-1 or hiv-2. should i find some way to get an hiv-2 test?

Not such a tough question really. First off, you bleached your works; consequently, your HIV risk is dramatically reduced. Next, HIV-2 remains remarkably rare in this country. Also, many of the current generation of HIV tests actually test for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. I strongly doubt you have anything to worry about; however, since you obviously are worried, here's what I would suggest.

1. Enroll in a drug treatment program and get off the stuff!

2. Check your past HIV tests and see if they cover HIV-2.

3. If not, and you remain worried, retest with any of the newer HIV-antibody tests that cover both HIV-1 and HIV-2. They are now readily available everywhere in the U.S.

I'll send my good-luck karma in your direction, OK?

Embarassing Question that no one has dared to ask
Re: Protected Oral Sex (with a slight twist) - clarification please