Re: An Oberlin guy to an Oberlin Alum

Big-Obie,

I can't believe I'm talking to an accomplished Oberlin Alum and Trustee about sparking doobies. Yes, it was a standard gram shared amongst three youths. Its been a week, so it should be out of me by now. Someone knows how to take care of their Obies.

This will have to be my last message to you over the summer, as I see that you have to deal with many other questions.

If I can accept that I did not have the flu, mono, a sinus infection, or even lyme disease (or lemon disease, as someone else put it) then I should be able to accept the fact that I did not have ARS. Whenever I get scared and try to convince myself that there's something wrong, I tell myself that Dr. Bob says I'm okay. And it works. I just wonder why so many of us get sick after an "encounter." So, I'll let it go. Unfortunately, I can't let these allergies go as I'm still stuffed up like a mofo.

I went to a Catholic high school, and the only sex education that I got was one that preached abstinence. They make it seem that rubbers can't save you, and that if you screw, you'll suffer the consequences. Unfortunately, in an open society where people are going to do that, that message can be a deadly one. Fortunately, I only slipped up for a few seconds.

So, smart Oberlin alum, former Stanford professor, and freedom fighter, I thank you for your honest assessment and advice.

Maybe we'll catch Jeepers Creepers 2 sometime? I can't remember the second half of the original, since I got sick during it. Maybe that was a good thing?

-Obie 2006

Hey There,

Actually I was only an Associate Professor at Stanford, but yes, Dr. Bob definitely says you are okay.

Why do so many folks get sick after an "encounter?" That's easy to explain. People get sick periodically all the time. That's just part of the human condition. We all (well, all except sex-phobic Republichristians) also have "encounters." Therefore some illnesses will occur after an encounter, even though there is absolutely no cause-and-effect relationship. Add to that a large dose of fear related to even the possibility of having HIV/AIDS (a problem made much worse by those same sex-phobic Republichristians) and you have the perfect setup for an anxiety complex. To top it all off, definitive testing requires a three-month waiting period during which anxious worriers become even more "symptomatic."

As for your mofo allergies, I suggest you see a board-certified allergist. He will be able to determine exactly what things are snotting you up. He'll also be able to treat you with a variety of meds intranasal steroids, antihistamines, decongestants, mucous thinners, etc. that should help a great deal. If not, allergy shots could be considered. At any rate, help is available if you need it.

Catholic high school teaching only abstinence and then you wind up at Oberlin where they put safe-sex kits in your dorm room during orientation! Hmmmthat must have been like landing in a parallel universe. I escaped Catholic school in third grade when the school burned down. (No, I didn't do it, no matter what Sister Dana Van-Iquity might say.) I've expressed my consternation at abstinence-only sex education programs in this forum many times before, so I won't climb up on my soapbox again now, as readers can find my rants in the archives.

Jeepers Creepers 2???? OMG. Don't tell me they made a sequel??? Then again, Dubya did get a second term. So I guess bad sequels for creeps do happen.

Finally, as for talking to (or at least typing to) an accomplished Oberlin alum, I should point out that since graduation is now over, you, too, are now an Oberlin alum! So get out there and accomplish something. Why not write a letter back to your Catholic high school explaining the "open society" and free world concept and suggest their abstinence-only sex education program is not only not effective (lots of scientific studies now confirm this), but it's actually dangerous.

Have a great summer, Obie-Guy.

Ciao. Stay well.

Dr. Obie Wan

Can HIV be detected in semen?
Can I go clubbing with you?