Can HIV be detected in semen?
Jun 4, 2006
I know HIV may be transmitted in blood / blood products and semen but can a MD detect the virus in semen?
Would you say that this would have ramifications for CSI's looking at victims of rape? Or even sperm banks - is there a possibility for the virus to be transmitted there?
Response from Dr. Frascino
Tests can detect HIV in semen. These tests are used for research purposes and would not be helpful in rape cases for a variety of technical reasons.
Sperm banks do screen all samples for HIV.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does HIV Cause Muscle Ache?
- Diarrhea After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Runny Nose After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- What Are Vaginal Odor, Dizziness, Headache And Diarrhea Signs Of?
- Are Red Dots On Tongue And Swollen Lymph Nodes Signs Of Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.