|Can HIV be detected in semen?
Jun 4, 2006
I know HIV may be transmitted in blood / blood products and semen but can a MD detect the virus in semen?
Would you say that this would have ramifications for CSI's looking at victims of rape? Or even sperm banks - is there a possibility for the virus to be transmitted there?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Tests can detect HIV in semen. These tests are used for research purposes and would not be helpful in rape cases for a variety of technical reasons.
Sperm banks do screen all samples for HIV.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Semen Analysis Can Hiv Be Detected
- Burning Urethra After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Loose Stool After Breast Sucking Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Balls After Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Penis Discharge After Deep Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Stinging Pain After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.