Have symptoms. Some STDs detected. I'm I higher risk?
Jun 4, 2006
Doctor I had sex with a working girl and condome broke. I did not find it out till I took it out. 3-5 days after I began to feel fever and fatique, thore throat. Went to STD clinic and they found infectious mono and gave me pills. Fever stoped, however my throat is still not well, tounge is white. (I do have thore throat often any ways)Then couple of days later I tested positive for Clamidia. I don't think its an old desease since I checked myself 2 years ago and my x-partner was checked 2-3 month ago and she had nothing. So my thore throat and white tounge. Since I most likely got clamedia from the girl and infectious mono is often caused by HIV acute infection, does it mean that I have HIV? I called multiple HIV doctors, but they don't want to deal with me till 3 month tests. Please advice, help. Help.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Next, a science lesson: infectious mono is NOT caused by acute HIV infection. (It's caused by Epstein Barr virus.)
Finally, my advice:
1. Your risk of contracting HIV form this one single episode of condom failure is low, but not completely nonexistent. The risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected (or condom failure) insertive vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Consequently, the statistical odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract the virus.
2. A test at three months is your next step. Testing prior to three months is not considered to be definitive. Consequently, the HIV doctors have nothing to offer you at this point, except perhaps reassurance. I suggest, if you are having difficulty with anxiety during the three-month window period, you seek counseling to help you cope with this problem. I would also suggest you read through the archives of this site. You should find the information and the testimonials there both enlightening and encouraging.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Swollen Glands After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Thrush After Happy Ending Worried I Have HIV
- Can You Get Hep C From Kissing A Hep C Infected Person?
- Can You Get Anything Sucking Someone's Cock Without A Condom?
- Cut On Finger While Fingering Hiv Risk
- Gave Oral And Got A Mouth Ulcer Two Days Later
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.