Please help ease the stress

Dr Bob,

I have read may of the archives and am still confused on a couple of topics.

1. I am an auto-immune factory. I have psoriasis, vitiligo and a hand rash disease (I think it is called dishydrosis). Will any of these alter the window period for hiv testing??

2. Since a very low risk exposure I have had strange symptoms including joint pain and peeling of my hands and feet. These could all be related to my Auto Immune list above, but my wife suddenly developed thrush. She is perfectly healthy, with no steroids, anti-biotics etc to cause this. The Dr. was concerned that this could be HIV since she is otherwise healthy. However this is her only symptom. Would our combination of symptoms about 4 weeks after exposure concern you?? 3. Does thrush occur in healthy people for no apparent reason? This seems like a strange quetion but many Dr's immediately go to HIV which is somewhat alarming to us.

Thanks for what you do.

1. I am not aware of any reports that would suggest psoriasis, vitiligo or dyshidrosis alters the duration of the window period for HIV testing.

2. No.

3. Thrush is fairly common and the vast majority of cases have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. A 20-minute rapid test can quickly resolve the issue, if you, your wife or her doctor are concerned.

What more can I say?
Dr. Bob for President!