medical school

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am currently in medical school and it is my dream to be a doctor. I'm not sure of my HIV status, as I have yet to get tested. But, if the worst happened, and I had HIV, could I still be a doctor? Could I still treat patients and would I be able to make through medical school?

Hello, Med. Stud. (short for medical student),

Now that you are in medical school, one of the things you'll learn is that you don't start worrying about prognosis or specific treatment until you have a diagnosis!!! In your case, you don't even know your HIV status. If you've placed yourself at risk, you should have an HIV test. Once you know if you're positive or not, then you can begin to address your other concerns.

In brief:

1. Yes, you could still be a doctor.

2. Yes, you can treat patients.

3. Yes, if you're bright enough and industrious enough, and if you don't get overly distracted worrying about "what ifs," and instead just address the problem at hand.

Good luck!

vaccine
the3p's