Prilosec and HIV

Hi there Doc,

You are the best thing that's happened on the internet. Love the fact that you love Chopin. I love him too. I'm learning all of the Book II Etudes this year!

Question: Since Prilosec and other proton-pump inhibitors lower the production of stomach acid, does that mean then that the HIV virus can permeate the stomach lining more easily? And, should this be a concern for someone like myself who is on Prilosec everyday?

The Op. 25 etudes are a blast to play. Remember to save some energy for the Winter Wind" (A minor) and "Ocean" (C minor) etudes that close the set! They require stamina!

Regarding Prilosec and HIV, here's the scoop!

Prilosec does not affect the ease with which HIV can permeate the stomach lining. It is, however, quite effective in decreasing stomach acid; consequently, some anti-HIV medications, such as atazanavir (Reyataz), that require stomach acid for absorption, cannot be used concurrently with Prilosec. OK, science lesson is over for today. Now get back to those etudes!

Stay well.

Peds question Thanks
Too many symptoms ... I'm coming to see you