Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Have you personally seen....
May 31, 2006

Hey Doc.

I have to tell you how impressed I am with this forum, your candid answers and your willingness to be there for people in need. You truly are one in a million.

Fast question for you Doc. Obviously oral sex (receptive -- the person sucking) is very low risk for acquiring HIV (1 and 10,000). In fact (and as you stated NUMEROUS TIMES), all oral sex has a low transmission rate unless there are extenuating circumstances.

That said have you PERSONALLY seen someone just infected through oral sex?

Very curious on what you personally have seen while practicing medicine. I'm sure other readers of this forum are equally interested.

Doc, I think you are the best. Your charity is the only one I will donate to. Keep up the great work... and please know you have inspired me to teach HIV awareness to children. YOU and YOU alone. I am in agreement with you that educating our youth is an important step in stopping HIV. Again, thank you for all you do.

My very best, Greg.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Greg,

Documenting HIV as a consequence of only oral sex is difficult, the reason being that most folks know vaginal or anal sex without a condom is a no-no. And most folks know oral sex is "reasonably safe" under most circumstances. So when someone gets a positive HIV test and is discussing potential risks with their doctor, they are more likely to remember some unprotected oral exposures, but might conveniently forget to mention the drunken night at the Palm Springs' White Party when they woke up with several muscle stud party boys in their bed and their knickers torn to shreds. In other words, Greg, I certainly have had folks tell me "I think I got it from oral sex;" however, if I really talk to them "off the record," there are usually other potential risk behaviors.

Hope that answers your question. Thanks for your kind words and generous donations!

Stay well, Greg.

Dr. Bob

Previous
This is just for you Dr. Bob
Next
Simple Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.