My docotor has put me at risk - i beg you to respond!

hi doc i think my doctor may have put me at risk for hiv or hep C or B

OK so, there was blood that had dripped down her table that i pointed out (dont know hbow long it had been there) then she just rubbed it off with her hand! a few minutes later she was checking out my knee which had a cut on it from being poked with a pin earlier and a pimple that had a dark dot on the top of it and god know what other little abrasians and cuts!

i asked her not to touch the knee but she did with the same hand she had touched the blood with and she never washed her hands!

is this rediculas or what! what should i do! am i at risk!

i am so in shock please respond

- what the heck!

From what you've written, I would agree your doctors "universal precautions to prevent bloodborne illnesses" is not up to code; however, I do not believe you were placed at any significant risk for HIV or hepatitis.

If you remain worried about this incident, you have several options:

1. Go back to your doctor and express your concerns. She will most likely advise you that there was no risk, but she may as well offer to screen you for HIV and hepatitis without charge.

2. Go to another doctor and get screened for HIV and hepatitis. I'm willing to bet the tests will be negative. Personally I do not think screening is necessary; however, the option is always open to you, OK?

Your site is great, wish things were this way in Africa
Thanks Dr Bob from Africa