Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your site is great, wish things were this way in Africa
May 31, 2006

Dr Bob, I want to say I love your site, your honesty and the way you genuinely answer questions and calm fears. You have real compassion. I came across your site because I had questions about possible exposure while having protected sex fresh condom was not used after ejaculation and withdrawal, and vaginal intercourse was re-initiated with the same condom. Status of partner unknown (more like it was not discussed. This was the first contact though I have been friends with this man for over a decade. Just not sure about his history. I know, should have asked)I couldnt find answers anywhere else; at least not like the ones you give Secondly, I would like to tell everyone who visits the site that being African and living in Africa, I am just beginning to appreciate what people living with HIV/AIDS in this continent have to face; from getting answers, going to test, getting medical care, disclosure, stigma, care givers. I mean everything is a struggle. I know a lot is being done, but we really do have a long way to go. Be grateful you live where you live all of you. Just now beginning to ask how I can be of help to those around me. Anyway Dr Bob, thanks, I have found comfort in your answers and your story and Yes, I will get tested. When I stop struggling with what if.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Although we recommend a fresh condom for each round of mattress mambo, if your used condom remained intact and prevented exchange of bodily fluids, it should still have provided protection. Don't bother "what if-ing;" just get tested at the three-month mark for reassurance, OK?

The AIDS catastrophe is truly mind boggling. In the early years of the epidemic, the virus was ignored because those affected were marginalized people: gays, Haitians and intravenous drug users. When AIDS threatened mainstream America (i.e. Rock Hudson and Magic Johnson), everyone got scared, red ribbons popped up, empathy was evoked and research dollars began to flow. Today, unfortunately, AIDS has once again slipped off the radar screen of our consciousness because once again the primary victims are marginalized folks this time Africans. The only comparable apocalypse in historical times was the Black Death 650 years ago. But there is a crucial difference. In the 14th century, we didn't know how to fight the Plague. Today we do know how to fight AIDS and we have the tools and resources to do it. And yet we are not using those tools and resources!!! It's indeed sad to realize that a quarter of a century after we allowed AIDS to spin out of control because its victims were marginalized members of "society," we are doing the exact same thing all over again. Today, as every other day, another 8,000 people will die of AIDS. History will not look kindly on our response to the AIDS pandemic or to those in desperate need.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Scared in the Bible belt....
Next
My docotor has put me at risk - i beg you to respond!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.