Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re: thank you bob/donation specifics - one more question
May 31, 2006

dear dr bob thank you so much for responding to my question

question one: can i donate annonomysly to your organization or do i need to use my credit card

question two: what if i had someone elses blood under my finger nail (i had to handle a bloody trash can in our bathroom and i dont know how long that blood had been on it) shortly after i stupidly picked my nose adn later i realized that there was some blood in my mucose - my nose also hurt

this means i must have cut the inside of my nose with my long finger nails

if the blood under my finger nails had infected blood ( HIV or HEP C) would i be at risk because i cut myself with them? one of my roomates has hep c by the way! how would this be different from a needle stick?

-jen

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You're welcome.

1. All donations, anonymous or otherwise, are greatly appreciated. If you don't want to use a credit card, you can send your donation to our foundation's office with a note attached that states you want to remain anonymous. The foundation will not send any acknowledgement or thank-you letters. But do know you have our sincere appreciation. The foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

2. I would strongly doubt you sustained a significant exposure to HIV or HCV from your nose-picking excavation. Of course, if you are worried, the option to be tested is always open to you. I personally don't feel it's warranted from the situation you describe.

3. How are fingernails different from a needlestick? Hmmm . . . well, when is the last time a doctor or nurse used their Barbra Streisand nails to draw your blood test??? And, um, when's the last time you saw a hypodermic needle show up at your salon for a mani and pedi? Relax, Jen, your worries are unwarranted.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Re: Re: Blue Cross
Next
An Oberlin guy to an Oberlin Alum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.