Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very valid questions
May 30, 2006

Hello Dr Frascino,

I have been reading your site carefully for past few weeks. I noticed that most people start to report of having symptoms after having some sexual encounter in which they feel they have been infected with HIV. And somehow all there people later test negative and their symptoms just dissapear. I belive most of their symptoms are related to stress. I would suggest some meditating yoga and sporting activities that will help to move your mind away from stress related to anxiety especially while waiting for test results after 3 months. Stay cool. i am waiting too. I am very stressed but I am sticking it in and taking it one day at a time. I will only determine to commit suicide if i get positive results.

I have a couple of questions which I hope are valid.

1. I am a male.If I had unprotected sex with a female sex worker in Bangkok, what are my statictics of getting infected with HIV based on current world HIV statistics.

2. Someone told me that it is not easy to catch HIV. Some people have had unprotected sex with HIV positive sex workers and yet turn up negative after having a valid 3 month test. What are the statictis for having sex with a HIV positive person and coming up negative ?

3. Are gay persons more like to get HIV then staright person who visit hookers ?

4. Who is more susceptabile to catch HIV... the male fucking a hooker or the hooker ?

Please help answer there question. Thye will reduce some tensiont have I have.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your post started off so reasonably, talking about the many worried-well folks who post questions who develop "symptoms" after a potential exposure, test negative and then note their symptoms all magically disappear. You correctly stated that these "symptoms" were due to stress and even offered some very constructive suggestions for coping with stress, i.e. yoga, meditation and sporting activities. I was a bit alarmed you then mentioned that you also were very stressed, but were "sticking it in" . . . . Hmmm . . . I assume you meant "sticking it out." Oh well, your post then dissolves into total self-centered insanity when you write "I will only determine to commit suicide if I get positive results!!!" I was tempted to hit the delete button then and there. If you've been reading this site carefully for weeks, as your post indicates, I'm sure you realize I'm HIV positive. I find comments about "suicide if I test positive" to be insensitive to those of us who struggle to coexist with this virus on a daily basis. If I had committed suicide when I seroconverted in January 1991, I wouldn't be here to answer your "very valid questions." So whether you have "tesiont" or not, I suggest you reconsider your egocentric solutions to potentially testing positive.

1. Estimated per-act risk for unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures.

2. See answer to #1.

3. No. The virus doesn't really care if you're gay, straight, bi or Republican.

4. The receptive partner is always at more risk than the insertive partner.

Dr. Bob

Previous
No symptoms - I am now more worried!
Next
cmon doc your reply doesnt stack up

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.