Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you and information requiered
May 26, 2006

Dr. Franscino

I am a 4th yr medical student here in USA, who by all means need to not only thank you this site for the information provided in this website, but also I need to admit that there's more about HIV prevention and treatment that I really dont know.

I have been ask several times about the posibility of getting HIV from oral sex, curiously by people that are receiving what we called in lame terms "blow job". I have been searching the web for concrete information about this matter, after all I want to give my future patients accurate information. This website help me a lot to clarify certains doubts, still, I just want to make sure, oral sex without a barrier is a risk factor to contract HIV, at lower rate than penetration...but who is at more risk a person who gets the "blow job" or the person who is receiving it?

If you can clarify that doubt for me I will be more than greatful, and please can you refer me to another webs with consise information about HIV?

Thank you for your attetion and cooperation, sincerely; Elias

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Elias,

I'm glad you are searching out accurate information to pass on to others! Your assumption that oral sex is much less risky than penetration sex is right on target.

Also, no matter what type of sex oral, vaginal or anal the receptive partner (the one who gets spunked) is always more at risk that the insertive partner (the one sticking it in). For oral sex, for instance, the estimated per-act risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 per 10,000 exposures. That estimated risk decreases to 0.5 per 10,000 exposures for the insertive partner.

Regarding Web sites with concise information about HIV, how about this one? TheBody.com! You can find just about anything you need here and on its related links. Check it out!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV Window Period - UK guidelines
Next
Symptoms definitely not same as disease

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.