Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Don't worry be testy
May 26, 2006

About 10 months ago I had sex with two working girls in Thailand. I was in a bussiness trip, had got drunk and found myself in the hotel room with these girls. I used condoms, even while receiving oral sex. Indeed the girls seemed to be very careful about it that changed the condom with an unused one everytime we changed partners. But in the morning when I woke up, still with alot of headache but less cloudy thinking I suddenly recognized that I did some fingering and I also recognized that this may be a risk. I checked my fingers very closely but did not notice any cuts even very minor ones. I found this site and after examining the archives I decided to write Bob and ask his opinion. I did not get an answer but after a much more deeper archive search I found some similar questions. I stopped worrying about it but still got some worries once in a while. Finally I get tested using HomeAccsess kits and found that I am negative. That was a great moment and I advise to all those with no reasonable worries, but a never ending suspicion to get tested immediately after the three month period. The chance of being tested positive would be much and much less than the chance of developing another disease because of stress. Having said so I have one last question, thah I hope to be answered this time. The HomeAccess test is testing only for HIV-1. Do I need to test for HIV-2? I heard that HIV-2 is only widespread in West Africa and HIV-1 tests are catching HIV-1 antibodies 70 percent of the time. Also that HIV-2 is comencing much more slowly and is not so infectious during the first years. So the possibilty of getting infected from a young age HIV-2 carrier is less. When I calculate all these small possibilities and taking into account the less risky acts that I performed I come into the conclusion that being infected by HIV-2 for me is maybe less than a meteroid hitting my head. Am I wrong? Do I need to get tested for HIV-2?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"About 10 months ago I had sex with two working girls in Thailand. It was a business trip . . . ." Hmmm . . . one wonders what type of business you're in!!!?!

Regarding your one last question, if what you tell me is true, I don't think you even needed the HIV-1 test, let alone a subsequent HIV-2 test! You are correct: HIV-2 is predominantly found in West Africa, which, last time I checked, is nowhere near Bangkok where you were banging cock.

In your analogy, I, too, would give the odds to the meteoroid!

Stay well. Stay safe. Thanks for writing in!

Dr. Bob

Previous
please help me find sanity again
Next
HIV Window Period - UK guidelines

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.