Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Re: An Oberlin guy to an Oberlin Alum
May 25, 2006

Dr. Bob,

Thanks for answering my specific questions. I've stopped worrying about that random, transient fever of a couple of years ago. Now, I've been able to focus and function every day.

However, allergies are killing me! When I asked about an allergies related fever, I was referring to something like a sinus infection. I get pretty clogged up and congested from the allergies, so I thought that might be a more reasonable diagnosis. I couldn't get a doc to verify at the time because the fever went away so quickly.

By the way, are generalized swollen lymph nodes and a rash noticeable? I don't recall seeing anything, and I believe I'm pretty perceptive.

Secondly, what do you suggest that people do to get increased funding for HIV and cancer? Of course, I'll vote in the midterm elections. But, with the amount of gerrymandering (in respect to the House)that has taken place, incumbents are RARELY defeated.

As far as expressing your political beliefs. Please continue and make people aware of what is going on. REAL issues need to be talked about. Not boys kissing boys, flag burning, or John Kerry "shooting himself." WHO CARES? Weapons of Mass Distraction.

Stay well, Dr. Bob.

Dr. Bob said:

Hello,

Yep, I'm "that Dr. Bob." In fact Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos Forum) and I were on campus in February giving a lecture in Wilder Hall entitled "Life. Love. Sex. AIDS. And other unscheduled events." We also brought the AIDS Memorial Quilt to campus for an AIDS awareness concert in Warner Concert Hall and several other awareness events.

So you're graduating this month? I won't be at the graduation, but I will be back on campus in early June for a Board of Trustees meeting.

To answer your specific questions:

1. Yes, much too short. Your symptoms were NOT ARS. Do I think it's "too coincidental it came a week or two after your exposure?" No, of course not. Dude, how rarely do you get lucky? Are you sure you're an Obie???

2. Yes, thousands, not hundreds, of things can cause fevers; however, "allergies" is not one of them! "Hay fever" is a misnomer. Fever is not a component of allergic rhinitis (the medical term for hay fever).

3. Is it unwarranted to assume your transient fever was HIV related? Absofrickinlutely. Dude, that's what I've been trying to tell you for quite some time now. Are you really worrying for no reason? Hmmm . . . here we go again! How many times do we need to go over this???

Oberlin graduates know how to think and reason rationally. You need to start doing both right away. Otherwise, as a Trustee, I may just have to pull your diploma and make you revisit the Tent of Consent/Safer Sex Night programs on a remedial basis!

Now stop worrying and head over to Gibson's for a sugary treat to celebrate, OK?

Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Obie,

Glad to hear your unwarranted fears are now buried deeper than Oberlin's Underground Railroad.

Springtime is indeed sneezing/wheezing time for those with seasonal allergic rhinosinusitis! All the extra congestion and mucous production can predispose the allergy sufferer to secondary bacterial infections, such as sinusitis or bronchitis. These conditions are usually associated with purulent secretions (thick yucky yellow-green crud), cough and sometimes fever. But the fever curve is nothing like the rather bizarre spike described. (I'm still betting on a faulty thermometer.)

Rash, by definition, is indeed visible. If it wasn't, it would just be an itch, right? Swollen lymph glands are not necessarily visible, but they are palpable in experienced hands, which yours are not, by the way.

As for tactics to increase funding:

1. Help to raise awareness.

2. Sponsor an AIDS or cancer educational program or fundraising event at your school, community group, workplace or religious organization.

3. Speak out against AIDS-related discrimination.

4. Vote and encourage everyone you know to vote (and vote wisely).

5. Demand an end to Dubya's costly, ill-conceived, unjustified and tragic war games. Redirect those funds to finding cures for AIDS and cancer.

6. Remember Oberlin's mottos: "Think one person can change the world? So do we." and "Fearless." By combining those two concepts, you can indeed have an impact on whatever it is you want to accomplish.

Stay well, Obie. I'll be back on campus in a few weeks with my Frisbee.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Was I safe? Can make a donation
Next
Still a bit of worry'n !!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.