Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is this legal?
May 24, 2006

Dr Bob,

I am a physician who recently diagnosed a prostitute with HIV/AIDS. Whilst she won't admit it I suspect she is a drug user as well. She is 25, with a high viral load, she claims she takes her meds (I think she misses some due to her drug habit). I feel that I am losing an uphill battle in that she will continue to become resistant to meds and keep acquiring either new strains of the virus (through IDU or unprotected sex) or OI's. She works privately out of a runned down apartment - which in itself is entirely legal in this city. I give her extra condoms and when I ask her if she uses them 100% of the time she says 'mostly'. I asked her what she means by this and she says 'sometimes I don't when the client is willing to pay a lot extra. However, is it legal for her to practise unsafe sex when she is knowingly has AIDS, let alone HIV. How would you proceed?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your patient presents a difficult problem. Certainly I would continue to try to work with her to address her drug problem, adherence issues and HIV prevention/transmission concerns by involving social services and AIDS support networks, if she is amenable. I don't know where you are writing from, but AIDS is a reportable condition by law. Consequently, if she qualifies for that diagnosis, contacting the county or state health officers to discuss options would not be betraying any doctor-client privileges. HIV-positive status (non-AIDS) names reporting has also been passed into law in many states. This may also afford you the legal parameters to involve the local health authorities.

Finally, this type of scenario is a reminder to the readers of this forum that HIV prevention and protecting your own health must ultimately be your own personal responsibility.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Sex with a colombian girl in Miami
Next
please help a guy who helps

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.