Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i'm terrified, any help appreciated
May 23, 2006

Hi Dr Bob,

You seem very caring and I am living in an absolute hell at the moment terrified that I'm hiv positive. About six weeks ago I was anally raped. I had symptoms which were weight loss, rash and loss of appetite which my doctor attirbutes to trauma but I'm sure it's something more. I have had three hiv tests - one following the assault, another four weeks after and the last one was six weeks after. All were negative. Since then I have had difficulty with my peripheral vision and I'm concerned about CMV retinitis as a complication from hiv. The doctor believes this is psycho somatic and refuses to do any more hiv tests until the three month test. I'm terrified of losing my sight and fear I'm losing my mind. I have attempted suicide several times and don't sleep at all. I am attending counselling and my family and friends have been wonderfully supportive. What do you think about the testing, the retinitis, etc?

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent traumatic experience.

I absolutely agree with your doctors regarding testing. Your four- and six-week tests are very encouraging. All you need now is a three-month test to definitively confirm your HIV-negative status.

As for symptoms, you do not have CMV retinitis. That is a late-stage complication of AIDS. Again, I agree with your doctor. Your symptoms are most likely directly related to psychological trauma resulting from your rape. If you have attempted suicide, you need to be under the care of a psychiatrist in addition to attending counseling sessions.

Your worries of being HIV positive are excessive and unwarranted, based on the information you provided. Yes, you need the three-month test for your "all clear," but even more importantly you need to address the psychological trauma caused by the entire experience. Please bring this post and my response to your next counseling session and show it to your therapist. It may very well help focus your therapy.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Going crazy! HELP!
Next
bob stppp!!si t'aime la vie repond moi

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.