Detectable Antibodies

Dr. Bob, I have read information pertaining to your areas of expertise and your lifetime of dedication and even person experience with the HIV virus and I first want to say: "Wow, you are more of a man than most people can ever hope to be. Congratulations on your ability to follow Gods plan for you; which I believe is to be an educator, a friend, a lover, and an angel!"

I have been struggling with severe anxiety related to HIV tests for about 2 years. I was diagnosed with genital herpes in Jan. of 05 and since have had 5 HIV tests. One every three months in the year of 05 and one this past April. I have been with the same person (my husband) for three years. I know that I need to believe these negative results and move on with my life, but...

I continue to test negative for herpes on many of their blood tests and this makes me question/doubt the accuracy/reliability of HIV test.

I also have had vaginal discomfort and sometimes severe pain for nearly 2 1/2 years. Not necessary related to Herpes at all. It is almost a constant pain.

Do you think there is a chance that HIV antibodies are being undetected and this virus could be the cause of all my vaginal pain?

I have had no answers to why I have had such significant vaginal pain and the herpes test have been negative (11/03), positive (01/05) and negative (04/06) and they are doing them again, waiting for the results.

Lastly, what do they mean when they say there is no garauntee when a person will show anitbodies, does this mean 90 days is not conclusive or that some people will never show anitbodies?

Is it possible that some people will never show antibodies?

I'll keep this simple.

1. I agree you are "struggling with severe anxiety related to HIV . . . ." You need to seek psychological treatment for this problem without delay.

2. HIV tests and herpes tests are two very different things. HIV tests are extremely reliable. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 17 months are definitive, conclusive and excessive.

3. HIV is not the cause of your vaginal pain. You do not have HIV. See your gynecologist for your vaginal discomfort problem.

4. Without additional information, I cannot advise you as to why your herpes test results have been inconsistent. Your doctor should be able to sort this out. If not, see an infectious diseases specialist for a second opinion.

5. Stop worrying about HIV, HIV antibodies and HIV-related symptoms. HIV is not your problem! No way. No how.

ummm
Still a little confused (CUNNILINGUS)