The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can a doctor practice medicine if hiv positive?

May 23, 2006

Hi Dr.

Im in paranoia right now. I went to a doctor(gastroenterologist) to check my anus because I suspected I have external hemmorhoids. The doctor told me to lie sideways and he checked my anus and applied something on it. He use his finger to check the outside and inside of my anus. I think he applied Ky jelly. But I read in the net of a situation like a dentist infecting his patients.

What if the doctor prick his finger or anywhere his body and uses that blood to do the rectal exam? Or have a vial of infected blood in his fridge in his clinic. I mean what if doctor wants to infect his patients?

Can transmission occur by using fresh/stored in the fridge infected blood in doing rectal exam?


Response from Dr. Frascino


You actually are worried that your gastroenterologist might use a bloody finger to do a rectal exam, or have a vial of infected blood in his fridge to infect his patients???? Oh my, my, my ,my, honey, either it's time for you to change health care clinics or (more likely) you really are "in paranoia right now!"

Dearie, my advice to you is to head directly to the nearest shrink. Hemorrhoids are certainly not your biggest problem at the moment.

Dr. Bob

Take the rest!
Super Music Group! Life Changing Experience

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint