infecting

My husband had urological surgery last monday and the day after the surgery he was told that there was a hudge mistake! the instruments only went through the washing process not the autoclave. He had to go for baseline HIV bloodwork as well as Hep b and c. The ID doctor told him his chances of getting these diseases in minimal[then again using dirty instruments should be impossible! The ID doctor is still decideing if my husband should start drug therapy but is swaying towards no. What do you think about the odds of coming down with a disease would be. He is on cipro to fight off other organisms. Needless to say we are shocked by this. My husband and myself are in the medical profession! I'm also wondering after 25 years if marriage if we need to use condoms?[and I'm allergic to latex!] I'm also on Enbrel for psoriatic arthritis and freaking that I could contract these diseases from him. We have 2 children that I have to worry about.

thanks! Ruth

Hello Ruth,

A "hudge" mistake indeed! I assume a malpractice case is being filed.

I do not believe PEP for HIV is warranted, based on the information provided. For an extra level of safety, you could certainly use condoms for the next three months, until your husband gets his definitive negative HIV test. If you are allergic to latex, use polyurethane condoms.

I agree with the ID doctor's assessment of risk minimal.

Good luck to both you and your husband. Chances are no harm was done; however, mistakes like this really should happen. I, too, am quite shocked it occurred.

dr bob, i love you (and chopin) please answer this question
wish you covered other stds