HPV Q from Info Provided

Dr. Bob,

I have a couple of questions after reading the information you provided to someone who was inquiring about HPV. Some are specific and some are general.

1) My fiance had an "Atypical", not "abnormal" papsmear result two months ago. Her physician stated that she tested negative for the strains of HPV that cause cancer. However, she wants my fiance to come back in 6 months for another papsmear just to make sure its not anything serious. Is this good medical advice, should she come back sooner?

She has never had any genital warts or growths and neither have I. I have read online where sexual activity (among other factors) could lead to an "atypical" result. She had not had sex for ten years before we started dating and we had a tremendous amount of sex right before her test. Could this have had an impact?

2) Is it reasonable to conclude she doesn't have HPV since she doesn't have the strains that produce warts and she doesn't have the strains that cause cancer?

3) Also, i was told by a friend in Med School that men could only carry HPV for 6 months. Is this correct?

4) Can anal cancer occur from HPV even without acquiring it from anal sex? Just curious, I couldn't tell that from the article.

Thanks for all that you do...you are still the man...and my monthly gifts are still going to your great foundation!

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

1. I'm not an OB/GYN specialist, but the recommendation your fiancée was given seems appropriate to me.

Regarding the sex-a-thon just prior to a pap smear, again, not being an OB/GYN specialist, it's difficult for me to comment, particularly because I do not know how "atypical" the pap results were. These are questions I suggest you pose to your wife's doctor.

2. I don't know what type of screening other than the Pap test your fiancée had; consequently, again, I'm reluctant to comment. This is another question for her OB/GYN doc!

3. No, that is not correct.

4. No, the virus affects tissues locally.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one, but I do think you could get complete and accurate responses about your fiancée's tests and risk directly from her OB/GYN.

Good luck, Jeremy. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I wish you both health and happiness.

Re: Thanks: breast milk adult transmission
My Doc still say more test What gives