Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your telling me I have to wait 3 MONTHS???
May 22, 2006

Accoring to you Dr. Bob, the 3 month test is the only one to take. Then tell me how I'm supposed to get through the next day, the week the next 2 months while experiencing many of the ARS Symptoms (sore throat for over 3 weeks, burning, dry mouth, dry cough, night sweats, yeast infection, mushcle aches--you name it after several unprotected sex encounters with a man with unknown HIV status!!!! I'm am going out of my mind. There is NO WAY I can get through this having HIV symptoms, but not being able to do a single test!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You can take as many tests as you want, whenever you want. What I said was HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered definitive or conclusive. (Therefore, I don't recommend taking them.)

I have also said that "symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease."

Finally, perhaps the most important thing I've said is that if you want to avoid all this unnecessary angst and worry, don't have unprotected sex! A simple thin sheath of latex would have completely prevented your three-months of worried-well hell!

So, how do you get through the three months of window "pains?" I suggest:

1. Read the entire archives of this forum. That should take at least three months, probably longer. The information there should be both enlightening and encouraging to you.

2. Why not volunteer some of your time to others in desperate need. Visit an AIDS hospice or a children's cancer ward or read to those who are blind. If these activities are too gut-wrenching for you, why not spend time volunteering at the training center for guide dogs for the blind? There you can help train the puppies. Another idea is to do health-related fun runs and walks. Just pick your cause breast cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's, AIDS, etc. Another idea is to learn about safer-sex techniques and then promote the information in local schools, churches, etc. This might help someone else avoid what you are currently going through. These are just a few ideas. I'm sure you get the idea.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
PREGNANT AND ABOUT TO COMMIT SUICIDE....HELP!
Next
Scared Dad - Oral White Streaks - Testing Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.