Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WOO-HOOO! to hell??
May 17, 2006

hey bob, first of all,lemme tell you that ur a real sweetheart. I had a protected vaginal/unprotected oral sex with a worker arnd 9 months back.I tested negative thru ELISA test after 3,4,6 and 8 months mark. even though the symptoms like morning dizzyness and headaces still persist,and i had taken a pledge to go for an ELISA test again after 12 months(phew!),I came across this website. and believe me,for the last month or so,i have been visiting this site every nite.Even though u never replied to my querries,I found out my answers thru the archives,and realised I had answers to even the wierdest of questions that used to pop up in my mind. So I used to njoy vicariously the WOO-HOOs from you! but i dunno why i went for this ELISA test again day before(plzz dont go mad at me!)..and guess wat,it came back positive for HIV-1!!!! ohhh damn...after being negative for 8 months,how come i am positive now??? I have really freaked out again,though wen i check ur site again today,i get a feeling it might be a false positive report.. I have had the western blot test done yesterday.the results wud be out in another 6 days! frankly,i want words of consolation from you..just tell me i am not one of those rarest cases!!!! i literally cried a lot yesterday in bed..this was my first ever sexual escapade and i pledged not to indulge in these practices again.I cant be that unlucky rite??

2) Doctors say it takes a max of 6 months for body to produce (detectable) antibodies..does that mean that our body atleast starts producing antibodies before the 3 month mark..so dat it can reach detectable levels within this period? or cud it happen that bodies do NOT even start producing antibodies in the 3 month period??

plzzz do reply sir..Ill donate surely.i understand the value of life truly! is there a possible ay i can donate from india?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm willing to bet your recent ELISA is indeed a false-positive. The Western Blot is indeed the next step.

You are not "one of those rarest cases!" Rather, you are one of the fairly common cases of folks getting way too many unnecessary ELISA tests and then having to deal with a false-positive result. The archives are loaded with similar stories. Have a look. You'll find the testimonials encouraging. The archives will also provide a detailed response to your queries about delayed seroconverters and HIV-antibody production. I won't bother reiterating that information again here.

Thank you for your willingness to make a contribution to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Yes, not only do we accept donations from anywhere in the world, but we would welcome donations from anywhere in the universe! Donation information can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. In return, I'm sending you my best good-luck karma that your follow-up tests reconfirm your negative HIV status, as I very strongly suspect they will.

Dr. Bob

Previous
re: What, me worry? Pshaw.
Next
Unprotected oral question--already donated

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.