follow up q

Dear Dr. Bob,

I have a follow up q for you. I sent an email on Sunday asking about the window period for hep b/hep c, asking if a 195 day neg antibody test is conclusive. Your response was that I have never been exposed to hep b/hep c but I am susceptible to it. I believe you mean that my current status is neg but I could get hepatitis b or c if I put myself at risk in the future. Is that correct? I will get the vaccine for 'b' very soon. Don't feel as though you have to answer this q. I know many others have qs as well. You are truly a great person to help so many so selflessly.

a fan from Ohio

Hi Fan,

Your understanding of my response is correct! I recommend hepatitis vaccinations! Hepatitis B (HBV) is 100 times more infectious than HIV and 10 times more infectious than hepatitis C (HCV). HBV is much more likely to be transmitted via unprotected sex than HCV. The old "ounce of prevention . . ." adage applies well to this situation.

Stay well.

HPV and HIV
Thank you for your kind response