quickfire question on dermatitis

Hi Doc, I've already donated via Steve at your Foundation over the weekend, and I have a quickfire question for you.

I had PROTECTED sex with a girl. I also had some very mild superficial contact dermatitis present in the groin area where I may have came into contact with vaginal extretions.

Can HIV pass through skin with very mild superficial dermatitis ( no blood, big cracks or wounds )? Is this low risk? If so, how could it possibly get into the bloodstream?

Thanks Doc.

HIV cannot permeate intact skin. No way. No how. Chances are your "very mild superficial dermatitis" would not constitute a significant HIV risk. However, without actually knowing how "very mild" the dermatitis really was, it's impossible for me to give you an exact answer. If you are worried, you can always swing by the office for a rapid test at the three-month mark. My overall impression is that worry and concern are not warranted. You don't know the status of your partner, or even if vaginal secretions (not "extretions") came into contact with the area in question. Plus, the contact dermatitis was "very mild and superficial." These facts, taken together, place your risk close to the nonexistent level. However, as always, a simple definitive 20-minute test at the three-month mark is always available to you.

Thanks for your donation!

Stay well. Good luck.

window period
nucleic acid testing