The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

quickfire question on dermatitis

May 16, 2006

Hi Doc, I've already donated via Steve at your Foundation over the weekend, and I have a quickfire question for you.

I had PROTECTED sex with a girl. I also had some very mild superficial contact dermatitis present in the groin area where I may have came into contact with vaginal extretions.

Can HIV pass through skin with very mild superficial dermatitis ( no blood, big cracks or wounds )? Is this low risk? If so, how could it possibly get into the bloodstream?

Thanks Doc.

Response from Dr. Frascino


HIV cannot permeate intact skin. No way. No how. Chances are your "very mild superficial dermatitis" would not constitute a significant HIV risk. However, without actually knowing how "very mild" the dermatitis really was, it's impossible for me to give you an exact answer. If you are worried, you can always swing by the office for a rapid test at the three-month mark. My overall impression is that worry and concern are not warranted. You don't know the status of your partner, or even if vaginal secretions (not "extretions") came into contact with the area in question. Plus, the contact dermatitis was "very mild and superficial." These facts, taken together, place your risk close to the nonexistent level. However, as always, a simple definitive 20-minute test at the three-month mark is always available to you.

Thanks for your donation!

Stay well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

window period
nucleic acid testing

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint