Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

a bet II
May 15, 2006

Hi Doctor Bob ;) I promise to start the fire and open the wine bottle, but I strongly recommend that you start thinking about what you are going to offer me in case I'm positive, I have a really strong hunch over here. Activated lymphocytes means there are lymphocytes which are reproducing more than normal, right? my doctor doesn`t explain anything to me and what I find on net is quite confusing. Is lymphocytosis typical of viral infections?

Thank you for all your help.

Andrea

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Andrea,

I can't believe you are so hung up on activated lymphocytes! This basic immune process is extremely common and not at all limited to HIV. The information you find on the Net related to activated lymphocytes seems quite confusing, because it is indeed confusing to almost everyone except immunologists. Basically T cells bind to a Major-Histo-Compatibility (MHC)/antigen complex on an Antigen Presenting Cell (APC) and then receive co-stimulation from surface proteins. Once activated, the lymphocyte differentiates and performs whatever duties its specific class (cytotoxic, helper, etc.) dictates. See, I told you it was complicated! These are not concepts I would expect a non-immunologist to understand. That you may have some activated lymphocytes on your blood work is completely normal and has nothing to do with HIV disease.

I have absolutely no need to come up with a counter offer for our bet, because your strong hunch has nothing to do with scientific reality.

If your doctor "doesn't explain anything" to you, why don't you find one who will?

See you in October.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can a Magnetic Relationship Work?
Next
An Oberlin guy to an Oberlin Alum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.