|western blot n viral load vs elisa
May 14, 2006
I would start by presenting my chain of test results:
april 11, elisa non-reactive, s/co 0.57, pcr rna non-detectable (<400)
april 17, elisa reactive, s/co 1.07
april 21, meia reactive, abbott determine non-reactive, western blot non-detectable for all bands (including hiv-2)
april 24, elisa, non-reactive
what would you make out of the results?
now on to a few more information:
1. hypothetical risk took place approximately between jan 28 and feb 15.
2. hypothetical risk of coming in contact with left-over semen at either the bathroom or laptop computer.
3. a gay roomate (who uses the bathroom and laptop to masturbate) suspected to be positive was tested negative at 14 weeks since last sexual encounter (oral sex)
4. I have been taking green tea supplements 3 times daily since february 15.
5. My brother who shares a bathroom with me (at home, not at the roomate situation) had a measles-like symptoms on april 2nd, and it was his condition that got me tested.
I suspected that the green tea pills (egcg)may have cause my viral load to be suppressed within weeks and limits the production of detectable antibodies, giving false negative WB and subsequent elisa.
Would you agree with my suspicion? Or would you agree with all the other HIV specialists that i am clear and i am worrying needlessly?
Everyone dismissed my worry bercause of the unlikelihood of the chain of household transmission occuring.
thank you, greenteafactor
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Look Dude, I enjoy a nice cup of soothing green tea as much as the next guy, but your green-tea-factor theory is totally whacked. Do I agree with all the other HIV specialists? Absofrickinlutely.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Ache In Testicles After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Fever After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Swallowing Precum Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Balls After Receiving Oral Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.