For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Can anemics contract HIV?

I have heard from several different people that men and women with anemia cannot contract the HIV/AIDS virus because the blood is already too infected with anemia. Is that true?

Wow, an HIV myth I haven't heard before! I thought I had heard them all before.

Nope. What you heard is not true. Anemia is a drop in of red blood cells resulting from any of a variety of causes. HIV is a virus that infects a type of white blood cell (CD4 cells), not red cells. HIV is perfectly capable of infecting someone who is anemic.

Go back and inform those "several different people" that their information is inaccurate. Advise them they can check facts here at any time.

a bet LOL
Symptoms don't equal HIV?