PLEASE ANSWER WILL DONATE WORRIED IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH

Dr. Bob: PLEASE PLEASE ANSWER. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SLEEP IN 2 WEEKS DUE TO TERROR AND STRESS AND WOULD LIKE YOUR HUMBLE OPINION (STARTED A NEW JOB SO THIS ON MY MIND IS NOT HELPING IN THE FOCUS DEPARTMENT). 2 WEEKS BACK I HAD UNPROTECTED VAGINAL AND ORAL SEX WITH A FRIEND AND AT MY AGE (36) I SHOULD KNOW BETTER. HE DID NOT EJACULATE IN ME, AND I'M NOT SURE IF THAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE. ANYWAY THE NEXT DAY I FELT TERRIBLE, SO I CALLED HIM UP AND ASKED HIM IF HE HAD EVER HAD AN HIV TEST. HE SAID HE DID 4 YEARS AGO, BEFORE HE GOT MARRIED, AND IT WAS NEGATIVE. HE ALSO TOLD HIM I HAD NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. PROBLEM IS - I'M WORRIED AND WORRIED SICK!!!! MY THROAT IS SORE AND I HAVE A HEADACHES. YOU THINK STRESS IS CAUSING THAT? DO YOU THINK THAT MY CHANCES ARE GOOD THAT MY TEST IN ANOTHER 2 1/2 MONTHS (WHICH WILL SEEM LIKE A YEAR) WILL BE O.K.?

QUESTION 2:

I WOULD LIKE TO DONATE, BUT AM WONDERING IF THIS CAN BE DONE ON-LINE? IT IS MUCH EASIER FOR US CANADIANS THAN TRYING TO GET US FUNDS.

QUESTION 3:

A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT HIV IS ACTUALLY HARD TO GET AND NOT ALL THAT COMMON. IS THIS TRUE? IF SO, THAN WHY IS IT AN EPIDEMIC IN SOME COUNTRIES AND NOT SO IN OTHERS (LIKE CANADA)? I WOULD JUST LIKE TO ADD THAT YOU PROVIDE AN OUTSTANDING SERVICE TO YOU FELLOW MAN WITH YOUR KIND WORDS AND ADVICE. YOUR MOTHER SHOULD BE PROUD!

1. There is no doubt that unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for HIV. Statistically the odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this sexcapade. Since your partner is a friend, perhaps you could suggest he have another HIV test. You could go with him to see the results. A rapid test gives accurate results in just 20 minutes. If he's negative, you'll have a significant level of reassurance. There is still the remote chance he could be in his window period, but the odds of that being the case are indeed remote at best.

2. Sure. Just visit the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org and click on the Donate tab.

3. Yes, that is true. The epidemiology of the HIV epidemic is rather complex and beyond the scope of this forum. You can review this information by doing a simple search on this site and following the links. You can also read volumes about estimated HIV-statistical risks in the archives of this forum.

Finally, Mom is proud and I'm equally proud of her. (HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM, and mothers everywhere!)

RECURRENT PROSTATE PAIN
testing vs worrying