Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is it at all possible
May 12, 2006

Multiple Elisa's out to 2 years all Negative. Undetectable PCR tests at 8 and 16months. CD4 Count low at just over 400. This following sex with a female sex worker in china using a condom , however severe illness circa 3 weeks later, incl swollen glands, sore throat, night sweats, strange dizziness , marked weight loss followed by Herpes type 1 and my wife similar symptoms ( no herpes) some 3 weeks or so after sex with me. Worry re effectiveness/failure of the condom with sex worker.

Symptoms ( not anxiety , real symptoms) continue now almost 3 years post episode with no explanation ie

gastric problems severe sinus problems with runny nose, periodic tinnitus, Joint aches in particular hands ,hips , soles of feet and thrush rash recurring at top of thighs between legs.

Is there anyway i may have antibodies that the tests arent picking up in the UK?

Is it possible i still havent produced detectable antibodies in 2 years?

Re Pcr tests could my body be keeping the virus at below the less than 50 copies level at 8 and 16 months?

Should i test again at 3 years? if not can you give me something that im missing that would mean it couldnt possibly be HIV problem.

Has anything like this been previously reported /recorded ? Postive but Non detectable pcr's at 8 and 16months and negative Elisa's out to 2 years?

Frankly its ruining my Life and that of my family to a very concerning extent.

Doc if you can help me, i'll gladly help you by donating to your cause.

Hope you will answer as i feel very alone.

your namesake Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Bob,

I'll answer your specific questions first:

1. Antibodies that tests aren't picking up? Nope!

2. Haven't produced detectable antibodies in 2 years? Nope!

3. PCR less than 50 at 6 and 16 months? Nope!

4. Should retest at 3 years? Nope!

5. Anything like this reported previously? Nope!

So to sum up, that's nope, nope, nope, nope, and nope!

What has been reported many, many times are situations in which someone has thought he or she was HIV positive, but in reality it turned out to be something entirely different. We have seen many cases like that at the Frascino Medical Group.

From your history, you had a nonexistent exposure protected sex. Your symptoms are all very nonspecific. Your HIV testing is definitive, conclusive and excessive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Bob, unfortunately I cannot diagnose your condition over the Internet, but I can tell you what's not causing your symptoms! It's not HIV.

My advice is to get off these HIV-information Web sites. You're chasing an illness you could not possibly have. Get a thorough evaluation from a competent physician to evaluate any ongoing symptoms.

Dr. Bob

Previous
You're not alone
Next
Magnetic girl / girl couple

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.