previously asked questions about transexuals

Dear Dr. Bob, Your desire to give quick, flippant answers sometimes gets in the way of your medical answers.

Someone recently wrote to you with the question "Will I get Aids by having unprotected sex with a person who has undergone a complete sex change (ie. male to female)?"

You responded "The only way to get HIV/AIDS by having unprotected sex is to do it with a person who is HIV positive. It makes no difference if they are he or she is straight, gay, bi, curious, tranny, granny, Mormon, Republican or all of the above."

I believe they were asking, "Can I get HIV by putting my penis in a man made vagina" (i.e. a vagina with no mucous membrane, a vagina that does not have vaginal secretions, a vagina that has not monthly blood flow, Can the vagina of a transexuals transmit HIV?). I think it is an interesting and reasonable question for the non-medical among us. Perhaps you could answer it or refer the writer (and I) to someone who can.

Robert

Hello Robert,

You consider my answers flippant and non-medical??? Hmmm . . . flippant? OK, yeah sometimes, but hopefully in an amusing way. I should also point out however that the medical stuff really is in there as well. For instance, you want to know "can I get HIV by putting my penis in a man made vagina (i.e. a vagina that does not have vaginal secretions, a vagina that has no monthly blood flow)? Can the vagina of a transsexual transmit HIV?"

My flippant, but medically accurate response remains:

"The only way to get HIV/AIDS by having unprotected sex is to do it with a person who is HIV positive. It makes no difference if they are he, she, straight, gay, bi, curious, tranny, granny, Mormon, Republican or all of the above."

Now which part of that don't you understand? To put it another way, if tranny is virally enhanced, he/she can potentially transmit HIV. Cervical secretions are not the only infected bodily fluids that can transmit HIV. For instance, unprotected sex can cause trauma to even a man-made vagina, leading to potential urethral exposure to infected blood.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to address my flippant comments to those who might actually appreciate this free public service. Should you have other questions about commando-shagging a tranny or any of your other worthwhile altruistic pastimes that might have medical consequences, I would refer you to your private physician. Although it may cost you some time, money and perhaps embarrassment, I'm sure he's much less flippant than I.

deeply troubled
DO I HAVE A CASE?