Your thoughts for $50 donation!!

Dr Bob-

I had sex with a woman of unknown status two weeks ago (unprotected, ugh!) and I did perform oral as well. I am sad to say that it was the last day of her period as well. Found that out after. I did not have any blood on my mouth but did notice some on down below ever so slight.

The next day I had a throat irritation which felt like a raised taste bud at first and each day got worse. 3 days after my throat was very red and the 4th day have white patches/pus on the back of my throat. Have been fighting a slight fever as well now and it appears as though there are raised red bumps on my tongue. I have been on a z-pack for 5 days now and it does not appear to be doing any good. Needless to say like everyone else on here I am freaked out from it all. My qst is this, isn't it safe to say that 3-4 days after my escapade is too quick to be exhibiting symptoms of ARS? I am trying to assume that this throat "infection" is causing the fever and that the very next day when the throat was irritated and has progressed into what it is today is not related to HIV as it seems that would be so sudden to start exhibiting symptoms from a possible exposure. I still talk to her and she tells me I have nothing to worry about but what else is she supposed to say. Also, I know it is much harder for a man to get it from a woman (no anal) and that the odds are like 10 in 10,000 but there was some blood involved so not sure if that changes everything. Would it still be hard to catch from a woman to a man. I have no cuts or sores on my penis and I know oral is very low risk.

Could you please give me your thoughts Dr Bob. Its only two weeks in and I really need some comforting words to help get me to the 3 mos mark. Each day lasts forver and the thought of 10 more weeks quite frankly seems like an eternity.

Waiting ever so patiently,

Eric-

Hey Eric,

First the facts, then the comforting words, OK? Facts: unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. The estimated risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected vaginal insertive sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures.

Now the comforting words: your estimated risk would be even less because we do not know the status of your partner. I also agree that ARS does not begin within hours or even a few days after an exposure. Consequently the odds remain astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this episode.

One suggestion, if you are in reasonably close contact with Madame X, why not ask her to get an HIV test? You could go with her and see the results within 20 minutes (rapid test). If she's negative, that would provide you with a significant level of reassurance. There is still the remote chance she could be in her window period during which she would test negative but still be HIV positive. However, the odds of this being the case are remote at best. Your three-month test will give you the ultimate definitive result. I'll send my good-luck karma in hopes that test is negative.

Good luck, Eric.

explanation for worried father
i love this web site DR SPONGE BOB