Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unlikely transmission, but still worried.
May 8, 2006

Dr. Bob, I think your forum is a tremendous help to the medical and non-medically educated community. I know the question of low-risk activities has been answered many times, but I think I might have a new one. January 4th of this year I went to a strip club and received a lap dance from one of the strippers. I found out later that she had a child 3 months earlier and was still nursing. Nothing went in my mouth and I had no open, bleeding sores on my face to speak of. Being a naturally paranoid person I started to worry about it the next day. A week later I started to get ailments that I have had all my life, but the coincidence of when they happened worried me. I woke up with a stiff neck, had a headache, diarrhea for a day, a couple of sores on the tongue like I bit it, my temperature went up a degree in the evening but went back down by 10:00 pm, etc. I have no idea whether or not the stripper had HIV or not, but I figured I would get tested anyways. I received HIV tests at 6, 8, and 12 weeks--all coming back negative. I have been told by the HIV counselors where I got tested that there is virtually no risk at all, but I am still worried that some of the breast milk entered a healed over pimple or cut on the lips, etc. The symptoms I described above have happened on and off since then, and I have noticed that my temperature usually fluctuates during the day on its own. I know the risk is incredibly slim and you have posted that a 12 week test with minimal exposure is definitive, but I'm sure there are people out there who have experienced something like this and are wondering the same thing. And since I know you are thinking it, yes I am being treated for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I'm making a donation to the site and I would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'll be brief:

1. I agree with the HIV counselors. No risk! No way. No how.

2. Continue treatment for OCD, a condition you definitely have, and stop worrying about HIV, a condition you definitely don't have.

3. Thanks for the gift. (www.concertedeffort.org)

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE CLARIFY ANSWER TO PREVIOUS POST OF 4/29, WILL DONATE AGAIN
Next
Some questions about ICL.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.