You said it like it needed to be said....

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am a case manager for an ASO serving a rural area in middle America. Yes, I am in the belt buckle of the bible belt. I wanted to offer praise for your response to "Worried Dad". I have seen first hand how families will shut out my clients out of fear and ignorance. My offers to educate family members regarding how HIV is spread and so on often goes without acceptance. I view it simply as many people don't want to know. You keep up the great work and I will do the same. Keep smiling as well. In my area, when people see me smile, they know I am up to something......

Case Manager

Hello Belt Buckle of the Bible Belt Case Manager,

Thanks for your comments and for doing essential work in one of the areas of the country that is in greatest need. Education and common sense will eventually prevail, even in areas that have been indoctrinated (wrongly) that to believe in a higher power and to think rationally are mutually exclusive. Nothing could be further from the truth. When the Bible Belt realizes that saving lives and helping those in need is more important than feeble attempts to save souls and follow outdated nonsensical doctrine, they will truly understand the message of the higher powers and find purpose for their lives here on planet Earth.

Yes, I'll continue with my efforts as long as I am able. I'm delighted to have you as a colleague.

Stay well.

Are my kids at risk? May 2, 2006

My son has AIDS. I don't know for how long, he is 19 years old and I found out when I found his medications in his room. I was checking for drugs because hes been acting strange, but sure as anything didnt expect this. I have three younger kids, the youngest is only 9. Should I ask him to move out? Hes gay (I have nothing against this) but hes also a bad influence on his brother and sisters. Now hes AIDS is he dangerous to them? Or me and his mother?

Thank you for any advice.

worried father

Hello Worried Father,

You just found out your 19-year-old son has AIDS and your first inclination is to throw him out of the house???? WOW. Apparently your moniker, "Worried Father," applies to being worried about everyone (including yourself), but not your son!!! Shame on you, sir.

Is your gay HIV-positive son a danger to you, your wife or your other children? No. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact. No way. No how.

Perhaps the reason your son has been acting strangely is because he has HIV/AIDS and has tragically felt the need to hide this information from you and the rest of his family. Of course, now that I see what your initial reaction is, I understand his desire to keep his diagnosis secret.

I suggest you, your wife and your son sit down and discuss the situation rationally. Family counseling may be very beneficial. Go with your son to his HIV/AIDS specialist physician visits and talk with his doctor. Get involved with your son's life and help support him through this crisis. Turning your back on him now and throwing him out of the house would be both cruel and immoral.

Made a mistake and suffering...
SCARED & DEPRESSED will make a DONATION