Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

stretched condom - worried
Apr 30, 2006

hi doctor,

i recently had sex with someone who i now know is HIV+

she had a v.l over 100000 when we did it

I used a condom which at the end of it looked stretched due to the 5 minuste of rigouros sex but definetly not broken as I checked.

my sister is a nurse and she says that when someone has a high v.l ie over 90000, then there is the possibility that a stretched condom can be permeated somewhat.

also, my foreskin was pulled right back and so that also adds to the concern

what are my chances of catching it: exactly how much virus would have got through?

thank you dr bob.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your sister may be a great nurse, but unfortunately she's not very helpful when it comes to accurate HIV-prevention information. HIV, no matter what the viral load happens to be, cannot permeate intact (even "stretched" intact) latex. No way. No how! Regarding your condom, of course it's going to be "stretched." After all, it comes in a tiny foil packet and must then stretch to tightly cover your enormous throbbing tallywhacker, right? And as for "5 minute of rigorous sex", that's not exactly a sexual marathon, Casanova!

Pulled-back foreskin is not a problem if it's covered by latex.

Finally, to your questions:

Assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail . . .

1. Exactly how much virus could have gotten through? None.

2. What are the chances of contracting HIV from this experience? Zero. Zip. Nada.

If you are worried, then get HIV tested at the three-month mark. However, if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail, I do not feel testing is necessary.

Stay safe and you'll stay well. Please invite your nurse sister to tune into this site to update her information on HIV/AIDS.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Do I Really Need to Wait 6 Months?
Next
Seriously Worried +donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.