Condom Broke - first time in 23 years!

Hello Doctor, I am very concerned because of a recent exposure. A guy I know inserted into me for anal sex...and within a few strokes, the condome broke....he pulled right out and we stopped. No orgasm and very little if any precum. He is a good guy and assured me that he is hiv negative (he is also a volunteer for our local AIDS organization). But trust doesn't come easily to me and I am really scared. This happened yesterday and I am wondering how to deal with this. What are my chances for being infected? I am so mad at myself...I didn't realize that vegetable oil would cause the condom to disintegrate so fast! Word to the wise: Crisco is just for cooking! Thank you so much.

That you've been getting poked for 23 years and didn't realize that "Crisco is just for cooking" is surprising enough, but that your studmuffin top guy works at an AIDS organization and didn't know that oil-based lubes and latex condoms are not compatible is downright shocking! Time to wake up guys! This is not new information!

Your HIV risk remains low due to the fact that your unprotected exposure was very brief, no ejaculation occurred and the status of your partner is unknown. The estimated per-act risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 50 per 10,000. Your estimated risk, as I mentioned above, would be less, as we do not know the HIV status of your top gun.

I'd recommend you ask Top Gun to get retested. If negative, that would offer you one level of security. To rule out the rather minute possibility that he might still be in his window period, i.e. testing negative while still HIV positive, you would need to get tested at the three-month mark.

Finally, put the Crisco back in the kitchen cupboard and buy a giant jug of water-based lubricant.

Good luck!

Stay safe. Stay well.

HELP!! From "Scared Dad" - oral white streaks, now sublingual ranula cysts???
Do I Really Need to Wait 6 Months?