Blood Sport

Hi Dr.Bob:

I wish you well. I would like your advice. I had oral and vaginal intercourse (twice) with a high risk woman that has multiple partners. The next morning I found out she had statred her menstrual cycle.I got sick about two weeks after exposure with the typical flu like symptoms. The problem is that I have virtually stayed sick for over six months with a burning toungue, oral mouth sores, nausea, dizziness and a stiff neck and headaches from time to time. I have had four ora quick finger prick blood tests at 1 month, 3 months, 5 months and 6.5 months I had a PCR DNA Test (Roche Amplicor 1.5) and an Elisa Test at 145 Days after exposure. All tests were negative. I still feel sick and nauseaous. I have been to my personal doctor several times and he can't find anything wrong. Would you please assess my risk factor for hiv and any other ideas you may have would be appreciated. Thank You.

A burning "toungue"??? Hmmm . . . .

Your story is remarkably similar to gazillions of others (many posted in the archives of this forum): potential HIV exposure followed by "symptoms" and excessive HIV testing, all of which is negative, followed by ongoing worry about HIV, despite overwhelming evidence you don't have HIV.

Regarding your risk, you don't mention whether your mattress mambos were latex-protected or not; therefore, I can't give you statistical estimates. However, it really doesn't matter, because protected or not, you do did not contract HIV. Your four negative OraQuicks out to 6.5 months, negative ELISA at 145 days and negative PCR DNA at 145 days are definitive, conclusive and excessive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Since you've been to your doctor several times and he could not find a physical cause for your feeling sick and nauseated, most likely the cause of your feeling ill is psychosomatic. Your ongoing fears of being HIV infected are irrational and unwarranted. You need to seek psychological help in confronting these irrational fears and finding ways to cope with your anxiety. I suggest you spend some time reading through the archives of this forum. There you will find an impressive number of stories remarkably similar to yours. Hopefully you'll find these testimonials not only enlightening, but also encouraging.

God Bless Apr 13, 2005, I am back Doctor Frascino
HIGH VIRAL LOAD