Resubmitted from the Fatigue and Anemia Forum- Please help!!!! High-Risk sex with Circumsised man!!! I will Donate!!!

Dr. Bob,

I have been reading these postings for a while now, and I feel as though you can help me... I have had unprotected vaginal sex with my ex-boyfriend in october 2004 (only a 4 month relationship, long distance and had sex 5 times). He was circumsised and I had asked him about his status, he was not a drug user, nor was he bisexual ( he told me he donated blood all the time at the hospital where he was a ob/gyn resident, he became a certified ob/gyn last year. I have not had any sexual relations since nov. 2004. My previous 2 boyfriends I knew their status, both negative. I have no symptoms, except for the occasionnal sore throat ( which I have had since I was a child, and I have seasonal allergies). No fevers, rashes. I was tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea, both negative. No herpes, and had I had syphillis, I would have symptoms by now. Normal pap smear, so rule out HPV.Normal CBC, so I guess I can rule out hep.? I am soooo paranoid and terrified over HIV. I can't eat and sleep, but he was quite the ladies man- but he was monogammous with me. I am feeling depressed about contracting the disease. I know I need to take the test, but I am soo scared. I PROMISE TO DONATE, you are an angel for all your help. I feel I have become closer to God in asking Him for strenght ( I am a former Atheist- what fear can do to someone), I am now asking you for strength as well. Bless your heart!

All this worry could have easily been avoided by using a latex condom. You do realize that, don't you?

Unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. There is no way around that fact. Your ex-boyfriend, being "quite the ladies' man" and an OB/GYN physician, should also be well versed in STD risk and prevention.

Scared or not, the only way to know for certain if you've been exposed is to take the test. A rapid test will give you a definitive answer in just 20 minutes. The statistical odds are all in your favor. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from receptive unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 10 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even less, as we do not know Dr. Ladies' Man's serostatus.

Thanks for your donation. (www.concertedeffort.org) Showing compassion and generosity to others in need is a great way to rack up some excellent karma with the higher powers. I'll also send my best good-luck/good-health karma your way, in hopes that your HIV test is negative (as I strongly suspect it will be!).

Can HIV be trabsfered thru Urine?
Some folks are rude to you