Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resubmitted from the Fatigue and Anemia Forum- Please help!!!! High-Risk sex with Circumsised man!!! I will Donate!!!
Apr 28, 2006

Dr. Bob,

I have been reading these postings for a while now, and I feel as though you can help me... I have had unprotected vaginal sex with my ex-boyfriend in october 2004 (only a 4 month relationship, long distance and had sex 5 times). He was circumsised and I had asked him about his status, he was not a drug user, nor was he bisexual ( he told me he donated blood all the time at the hospital where he was a ob/gyn resident, he became a certified ob/gyn last year. I have not had any sexual relations since nov. 2004. My previous 2 boyfriends I knew their status, both negative. I have no symptoms, except for the occasionnal sore throat ( which I have had since I was a child, and I have seasonal allergies). No fevers, rashes. I was tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea, both negative. No herpes, and had I had syphillis, I would have symptoms by now. Normal pap smear, so rule out HPV.Normal CBC, so I guess I can rule out hep.? I am soooo paranoid and terrified over HIV. I can't eat and sleep, but he was quite the ladies man- but he was monogammous with me. I am feeling depressed about contracting the disease. I know I need to take the test, but I am soo scared. I PROMISE TO DONATE, you are an angel for all your help. I feel I have become closer to God in asking Him for strenght ( I am a former Atheist- what fear can do to someone), I am now asking you for strength as well. Bless your heart!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

All this worry could have easily been avoided by using a latex condom. You do realize that, don't you?

Unprotected sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. There is no way around that fact. Your ex-boyfriend, being "quite the ladies' man" and an OB/GYN physician, should also be well versed in STD risk and prevention.

Scared or not, the only way to know for certain if you've been exposed is to take the test. A rapid test will give you a definitive answer in just 20 minutes. The statistical odds are all in your favor. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from receptive unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 10 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even less, as we do not know Dr. Ladies' Man's serostatus.

Thanks for your donation. (www.concertedeffort.org) Showing compassion and generosity to others in need is a great way to rack up some excellent karma with the higher powers. I'll also send my best good-luck/good-health karma your way, in hopes that your HIV test is negative (as I strongly suspect it will be!).

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can HIV be trabsfered thru Urine?
Next
Some folks are rude to you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.