HIV positive blood to saliva

Hi Dr. Bob,

After reading your responses to other questions, I've gotten more of an education on HIV, and tons of laughs along the way! I love your humorous responses - yet I don't think I've gotten a straight-forward answer to my question from any readings yet. You seem like the one to ask when it comes to "Am I over-exaggerating?" kinds of questions!

Here's what's got me worried: I'm still a virgin, but I had a risky encounter in the past that I wish I could erase. In short, an ex-friend had an open wound on his finger, and then put the bloody finger in my mouth. Of course I didn't want it there, and turned my head the moment I realized that I had blood in my mouth. My ex-friend laughed and said "You'll hate me in 10 years- don't you know I have AIDS?" Later he said he was only kidding - but over a year later, I'm still worried over that one little comment.

If this person did in fact have HIV, is it possible (or probable) for HIV to be spread in that way?

I would have gotten an HIV test already, but I'm not yet 18, so it's impossible for me to be tested without a parent being notified.

Thank you so much for your help, Dr. Bob!

Well I can certainly see why, with a sense of humor like that, that dude is now an "ex"-friend. Certainly the chances of his actually being HIV positive are remote at best. That said, to specifically answer your question, there is a theoretical risk of acquiring HIV if indeed you were exposed to a significant amount of fresh HIV-positive blood in your mouth. Do I think this is what happened in your case? No, I don't. However, if you are worried, there is no reason why you can't get HIV tested. We test sexually active teens at The Frascino Medical Group without parental consent and I'm sure many other locations do as well. A simple rapid test would put your worries permanently to rest. Also, what's the big deal about telling your folks that a doofus ex-friend stuck his bloody finger in your mouth and then made a wiseass comment about HIV/AIDS, and so you want to be tested? After all, it's not like you decided to break your virginity pledge big time at the Baptist Sleepover Camp, right?

Good luck. Stay well. (I'm quite confident you are indeed well!)

6th try: need your expert suggestion
My blood on lemon my friend ate! help!!