Worried

Hi Dr. Bob,

I had bloodwork done for mortgage insurance 2 years ago and was shocked when the results came in: positive Elisa and indeterminate WB showing "weak bands". My husband (we've been happily married for 10 years) was tested at the same time and came out negative all around. I know I've always been faithful and he swears he has, too. I was referred for further testing a few weeks later (they drew about 15 more vials of blood!) and was relieved when it all came back negative. The whole thing really freaked me out!!

That was almost 2 years ago and the reason it's all coming back now is because we're applying for life insurance and I'll probably need to get another HIV test. Lately, I've even been so paranoid as to wonder if they mixed up our blood samples and that maybe my husband is infected, although he swears that he's never cheated and says I'm worrying for nothing. Neither my husband or I have ever done drugs and the only blood product I received was a shot they gave me when I was pregnant with twins in 2000, the one for the RH factor. Am I making too much of this?

It seems weird that my results changed over the period of a couple of weeks. Have you ever heard of a case like this?

Worried Mom :-(

Hello Worried Mom,

Relax! I see no cause for concern or worry. Your initial blood work showed a false-positive ELISA and indeterminate WB. This was subsequently confirmed to be "falsely" reactive as evidenced by your negative tests two weeks later. Indeterminate tests account for 4% to 20% of WB tests with positive bands for HIV-1 proteins. You can read about the causes of indeterminate tests in the archives of this forum, as I've addressed this topic many times before.

Stop worrying, stop being paranoid and stop suspecting your husband! You have essentially no risk and you have definitive tests showing that both you and your husband are HIV negative. Don't let a "false" test ruin your life, happiness, health or marriage.

Have I ever heard of a case like yours? Yes, many times. You can read about some in the archives.

Blow out !
You are to blame more than anyone