Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ups and Downs
Apr 24, 2006

Hi Doc, After what I think is a minor risk exposure (protected vaginal and unprotected oral -gave and received) I'm still in shock

The problem is that my symptoms, based on all the documentation I've read, are all consistent with HIV. (swollen lmph, flu symptoms, sore throat, joint pain, muscle pain, loose stool, hands/feet tingling, white tongue, dry skin) But coming here makes me think I'm ok. So here's what's happening. I start freaking one week after because of some symptoms. Then find this site. Stop worrying because 1- protected vaginal should be ok 2- cunilingus is very low risk 3- Receptive oral is low risk

So I go on with my life. Well couple weeks later, more symptoms. I was not even thinking about HIV anymore. I come back here, read a couple of story, convince myself I'm ok and go back to normal...then more symtoms...etc etc..

You get the picture. I don't get why everytime I finally think I'ok, my body prooves me wrong (or does it) I'm scared now...

thanks for listening Jon in Haywayd, CA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Jon in Haywayd, CA,

Where is Haywayd?

Your assessment of your HIV risk is accurate.

If you've spent time reading this forum, you probably already know the advice I'm going to give. Even though your HIV risk is low, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV and are worried, get HIV tested. A rapid test will give you accurate results in just 20 minutes. Why worry when definitive proof that your worries are unfounded is so easy to obtain? You new that already, didn't you? Of course you did.

Check local listings for an HIV-rapid-test site close to you. If "Haywayd" is really Hayward and you can't find a closer site, our Los Altos office is reasonably close (Frascino Medical Group, Inc., 650-917-1357) and we offer anonymous rapid testing there.

Jon, I sincerely doubt there is any real cause for worry. Your body isn't proving you wrong. I think your mind (irrational fears) may well be the real culprit here. HIV testing is the most effective way to find out one way or the other.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Nonoxynol-9 resubmitted from the fatigue and anemia forum
Next
Lube as Harm Reduction?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.