Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of condom burst during water testing
Apr 24, 2006

After protected vaginal sex using three condoms, I tested the outermost condom with water. I started the testing within about 4 minutes of completion of sex. The outside of the condom seemed to be dry, so I guess it contained negligible amount of vaginal fluids (if any at all). After squeezing the condom a lot to check for breaks, I found no breaks in the condom. But after more squeezing, the condom burst and water got sprayed. I got a very little bit of water (1-4 tiny drops at most) on my face, so maybe 1-2 tiny drops of this water entered my eye. I did not feel any drop entering my eye, but I cannot be absolutely sure that no water entered my eye or not. Dr. Bob, I am worrying over this incident like crazy. I suffer from OCD maybe, so this episode triggered my OCD and drove my OCD into overdrive. Rationally, while filling the condoms with water, the vaginal juices on the outside of the condom should also be washed away, since I used shower water to fill up the condom. Also, since the condom had been exposed to air for at least 4 minutes, I suppose the HIV virus (if any) in the vaginal secretions would not remain infectious. Reading through your archives, I have found that you say "HIV does not survive too long outside the body and it needs a human host to survive"..So, what do you think about my risk exposure? Is my risk essentially non-existent? Do I need to take a test after 3 months? Thank you, Dr. Bob. You are truly an angel. From water tester of condoms (now a worried well)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

". . . Protected vaginal sex using three condoms . . ."??? Three?!!!?!? You then write "I suffer from OCD maybe . . . ." You've got more latex on than the Michelin Tire Man and still you're turning the outermost condom into a water balloon and squeezing so hard it pops, trying to check for leaks! Dude, there is no "maybe" about your OCD. There is also no HIV risk form the episode you describe.

I suggest:

1. Get treatment for your OCD.

2. Don't double and or triple bag.

As it turns out, doing so may actually be less protective than using a single condom properly. The friction of latex on latex may compromise the integrity of the condom and make it more likely to pop.

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
short and simple
Next
Nursing Student-Follow up! :)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.