Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RPR Testing
Apr 21, 2006

I have concerns about the accuracy of the RPR test I took recently. About 5 and a half years ago, I experienced symptoms that appeared to be syphilis. However, at the time I assumed if something cleared up on it's own, it wasn't an STD. I'm older and wiser now, and since then, have tested myself for everything. My concerns lie in the RPR. It came back negative, but after reading several websites, now have concerns about the accuracy of the test. After 5 and a half years, will the RPR test be accurate? Do you recommend further testing. Thank you very much for your response. This has been waying heavily on me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If you are concerned about syphilis, you should talk to your doctor and explain the symptoms you experienced in the past. Diagnosing syphilis can be tricky. If your RPR is in question, your physician may order an FTA test. I'll repost a recent question related to syphilis testing below.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

3rd tryPlease Help! RPR test reliabilty with Uveitis Mar 13, 2006

Dr Bob,

im desperate for a straight answer(no pun intended) I know that immunology is your specialty, and hope you can/will help. I have had a second bout of Uveitis (Anterior) and am terrified of the many diseases that have been linked to this eye inflammation. I have had recently been tested for Syphilis and Hiv, both negative. The syphilis test was the RPR, which I am now hearing may not be accurate. My opthamologist wants to also now order a confirmatory test in addition to the RPR. My question, how reliable is the RPR? Why would it be used for screening if it is not accurate? P.S I have not had any sexual encounters in over a year, so I am hoping waiting periods are not an issue.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Syphilis testing is very confusing and the interpretation of the tests can at times be complicated. Basically there are several types of syphilis tests and several different stages of syphilis (primary, secondary and tertiary). Not all tests are positive for all stages. Generally speaking, RPR (or VDRL) tests are run for routine syphilis screening. A high value (called "titer") would indicate recent infection; however, various things can affect these tests. Consequently, they need to be confirmed with a secondary test (usually FTA or MHA). I don't know what tests your ophthalmologist has ordered for you and suggest you discuss this with him/her. Regarding the interval since your last sexual encounter, my, you've really had a dry spell, haven't you?!? However, you don't worry about test accuracy. The FTA will usually remain positive for life, once you've had syphilis (even if it's been treated and the RPR and VDRL decrease very dramatically). Try not to worry too much, OK? You're doing the correct thing by having your problem properly evaluated. Your HIV test is negative, which is great news. If your syphilis test does turn up positive, curative treatment is available.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Boyfriend Tested Positive - Please Answer!
Next
Re: What is more risky

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.