DESPERATE FOR ANSWER!

Dear Dr Frascino,

I had a possible exposure on 13 February 2006.

I was masturbating with another guy and had a small open wound on the underside of my penis.

I got some of the other guy's semen into the open cut.

I have had

1. Elisa test at 2 weeks, negative.

2. Elisa & p24 antigen test at 6 1/2 weeks, negative.

3. Elisa test at 8 weeks, negative.

In the intervening time I have had flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, weight loss and fatigue.

I am wondering (a) what my risk was from the exposure

(b) If the tests (although not definitive) are encouraging (as I would expect the absence of p24 antigens one might expect the production of antibodies).

I promise to make a donation to your foundation.

Keep up the good work.

I would assume, from the limited amount of information that I have, that your HIV risk remains very low. Of course, the real level of risk would depend on:

1. Whether your partner was HIV+ or not.

2. How "small" your "small" open wound was.

3. How "open" your small "open" would was.

4. Whether or not infected semen actually got into the small open wound.

5. The viral load in the infected semen.

Regarding your HIV tests, repeatedly testing negative out to eight weeks, including a negative p24 at 6.5 weeks, is very encouraging; however, not definitive.

The odds at this point are astronomically in your favor that you did not acquire HIV from this weenie-whack session. Your three-month test will give you a conclusive result. I suggest you make preparations to yell WOO-HOO!

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). I'll send my best good-luck/good-health karma back in your direction.

On stress, ARS, and burning mouths
Oral sex and anal intercourse