Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Writing for 4th time, pls do respond, else i shall die, HLA-B27 +ve effecting ELISA HIV Test
Apr 19, 2006

Dear Doc.

I have tried to view all the acrchieves but could not get my answer. I am writing for the 4th time, pls do respond.

I had an unprotected oral followed by a protected vaginal sex ( i do not remember any condom slippage or things like that ) with a high risk girl. 6 weeks after the exposure i had pain in abdomen, nausea, low fever, back ache, white tounge, etc, which were quite similar to HIV infections. I was diagnosed for appendicitis and was operated after 9 weeks of that exposure. I was also diagnosed with Ankylosing Appendicitis ( HLA-B27 - Positive ) Meanwhile, i got my self checked with Rapid HIV test ( Tridot - J Mitra & HIV Determine - Abbot ) at eight weeks of that exposure, result all negative. But the symptom of nausea and low grade fever continued even after the operation and i was given Ofloxacin & Tinidazole. This symptom kept on repeating every 2 months or so and i was diagnosed with giadiasis and others. Meanwhile, i got tested with Rapid kits as previous, after 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 months, and all were negative. I got the antibody ELISA test ( 4 times ) ( HIV 1 /2 ) done after 14, 15, 16 & 17 months of that exposure, all negative/non reactive. Recently after 18 months of that exposure,i am still having stomach problem with low grade fever ( 99 ), nausea, weight loss ( 3 -4 kg), loss of apetite, etc and i was diagnosed with deudonal ulcer & some erosions in the stomach ( endoscopy ) and also H-Pylori bacteria, +ve, and am being treated to it.

My worry is : can HLA-B27 +ve effect the test result making it to False Negative. Do i require any further testings?

Kindly reply as i am planning for a baby and am not able to move forward just because of this fear.

I am from a very poor country in Asia and have limited resources. I shall try my best to provide some funds to your organisation.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV risk was extremely low at best. Your symptoms have been linked to other ailments appendicitis, giardiasis, duodenal ulcer with H. pylori, etc. Your HIV tests all 16 of them out to 17 months post-potential exposure are negative. These test results are conclusive, definitive and impressively excessive.

Regarding HLA-B27, this is "human leukocyte antigen B27," a genetic marker seen in certain diseases, such as ankylosing spondylitis. However, there are many people who are HLA-B27 positive who do not get Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS). In fact, only about 5% of HLA-B27-positive folks get AS. Being HLA-B27 positive will not affect your body's ability to make anti-HIV antibodies, the duration of the window period or HIV diagnostic tests.

Do you need any further HIV tests? No. You've had way too many already.

Dr. Bob

Previous
3 rd asking: plzz give me answer
Next
THANKS FOR NOT RESPONDING!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.