DONATION promised if you can answer this

dear fine doctor, your smile and friendly advice means alot to me. at times when i worry i sign onto the board and am relieved. at this point i know what is risky and what is not..for the most part. i have one question though that falls into a greyish area. maybe you can help: I received oral sex from my girlfriend (she sucked me). i later remembered that a little bit before, she had brushed her teeth - may have been the moment right before she got into bed with me. we made out for a little bit (probably under ten minutes) before she gave me oral stimulation. i asked her if her gums bleed when she brushes, and she said a little bit. so i am concerned with A) could there have been enough blood a little time after teeth brushing in her mouth to infect me through the urethra? B) we were kissing first and i had a canker sore on the inside of mouth infront of my bottom front teeth - would that be risky too? i am wondering if i should get tested in three months. please help me if you can by telling me if there is significant risk here. -anderson

Hello Anderson,

Is your girlfriend HIV positive? Whether she's positive or not, I would say your HIV risk is negligible. The tooth brushing precautions are directed primarily at the receptive partner, i.e. we don't recommend vigorous tooth brushing that might cause trauma to the oral mucous membranes and then giving head. The risk here is infected spunk coming into contact with the traumatized oral mucous membranes, possibly increasing the risk of infection.

As for the canker sore, I don't consider that to present a significant HIV risk while kissing.

As always, if you are worried or feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, the option to test is always open to you; however, from the situation you describe, I do not feel HIV testing is warranted.

Stay well!

You're a doll!
not washing hands after using public washroom***