Come on Dr Bob, answer a GIRL'S question... or I'll puke on you

Hi Dr Babob,

I'm getting desperate. I'm sick with worry. hence the puking.

2 months ago I had a threesome with a guy and a girl (I'm a girl.) He would touch one of us then the other and so on, possibly transferring infection, right? He was quite rough and would have caused abrasions, making it more risky.

A month before our encounter, the girl had had unprotected sex with a guy.

6 weeks after her unprotected sex, she came down with tonsilitis, and a few weeks later a bad cold.

6 weeks after our encounter I came down with a really bad cold, swollen lymph glands in my neck and groin that won't go down completely

I'm fatigued and generally screwed, but I'm so stressed I don't know what is what.

Can you tell me if tonsilitis is an ARS symptom. Do our symptoms sound like ARS? Am I being a fuckwit? Excuse my language but I'm so scared. If she had caught HIV from that guy, her viral load would have been high when we had the 3some, right?

What else could cause these symptoms???

I know this sounds like a million other questions, but please. Are there any statistics on HIV transmission in threesomes?

I will donate! And I will never puke on you again if you answer me.

Hello Ménage-à-trois Puker,

Tonsillitis refers to inflammation of the tonsils. It is often caused by bacteria, such as streptococcus ("strep throat"). Isolated tonsillitis is not considered and HIV ARS symptom.

What other than HIV could cause your symptoms of "fatigue, really bad cold, and swollen glands?" Actually there are a number of things, including an upper respiratory tract infection (i.e. common cold) and anxiety.

As for statistics on HIV transmission in threesomes, no, we don't have any information about that. Perhaps in Salt Lake City. The Mormons are still into polygamy. (I saw it on HBO.) Perhaps they have some info. Considering you do not know the HIV status of the other members of your trio, I think it's a bit premature for you to be making assumptions about high viral loads, etc.

Yes, your questions have indeed been asked and answered multiple times in the past and I should mention not one of those questioners ever threatened to barf on me.

So Barfing Betty, the bottom line is that your HIV risk is low at best. If you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, get tested at the three-month mark, whether you have "symptoms" or not! It really is just that straightforward.

Are you being a fuckwit? No, you're just scared. You'd only qualify for the fuckwit moniker if you really did upchuck on me.

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). I'll send back my good-luck karma that your HIV test is negative.

Not sure of what to do
herpes virus 6