Apr 17, 2006
about 12 weeks ago i had unprotected(which i never do) oral ,and anal sex (stupid me ) had asked if he knew his status ,he said no , as i just got my results amonth ago i am nagative , well here is the thing he calls last week saying he is positive , my question is am i infected ?, i sucked him ,but not cum ,and had anal , no cum he was on meds for depression , so he couldnt cum ,thank GOD , so what are my chances that iam not positive , i have learned my lesson ,i have to waite another 3 months until i am tested ,since then i have had protected sex ,but iam so freaked out , i am going to waite 3 months so i can be sure ..one more ? can u get hiv from unprotected oral sex?? iam new to this so please be easy with me , i am beating my self up enough..thanks for any help you can offer me at this point ....smooches!
Response from Dr. Frascino
OK, I'll go easy on you, but not because you are "new to this." I'm a firm believer that if you are old enough to be out there shagging, you should be responsible enough to know how to protect yourself and your partners from STDs, including HIV. So whether you are beating yourself up or beating yourself off, what's important is that you have learned your lesson. And since I believe you have, that is the reason I'm going to be easy with you, OK?
Here are the facts you need to know:
1. Unprotected sex places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 50 per 10,000 exposures.[
2. Oral sex carries a very low risk for possible HIV transmission. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 per 10,000 exposures.
3. The CDC guidelines suggest that after a significant HIV exposure, such as your anal receptive sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive, you should get HIV tested at the three-month mark and if negative, you should have a follow-up test at six months to confirm your negative status.
I'll send my best good-luck karma that your HIV tests remain negative.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Odds Of Infection Dried Blood
- Thrush After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Kissing Cold Sore Worried I Have HIV
- Can Macrobid Cure Chlamydia?
- Can You Get Genital Warts On Your Mouth?
- Can You Get Std If You And Your Partner Are Virgin And Have Oral Sex?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.