Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Curious
Apr 16, 2006

Hi Doc

Just reading your forum - am a public school teacher trying to get more informed so I can educate kids better. You do an amazing job!

I saw you said "25% of HIV poz folks don't know they have it" and wondered, how do we know that? I mean, if they don't know they're infected, how do we? I'm not doubting your stat, I'm just curious! (some sharp kid is bound to ask me! Would like to be prepared)

Sam

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Sam,

The 25% figure is an estimation based on large epidemiological studies, including testing centers that ask folks before testing if they believe they might be HIV-infected, and population studies, such as in military recruits that have to submit to HIV testing when they sign up. By statistically analyzing data such as these and closely monitoring HIV-infection rates over the past quarter of a century, we can now fairly accurately predict numbers such as the 25% estimate. If your kids come up with any tough questions, feel free to turf them my way.

My foundation and many other groups are pushing for more accurate science-based and age-appropriate sex-education curricula. Information such as this 25% statistical estimate would be included. Here are a few more points you might want to tell your kids:

1. Half of all new infections in the U.S. are in young adults aged 13 to 24. That's 20,000 new infections per year or put another way -- one new infection every hour.

2. 66% of the new infections in young adults are sexually transmitted.

3. 60% of these new infections are in young women.

4. 75% are in racial or ethnic minorities.

5. 33% of HIV-positive youth have never been HIV tested.

6. Over 50% of HIV-positive gay youth are unaware of their positive status.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the idea. And hopefully you'll pass it on to your young charges.

I applaud your efforts, Sam! Recruit your fellow teachers to the cause as well. It's time we all demanded the teaching of scientific fact, rather than faith-based, one-sided morality aimed at potentially saving souls rather than actually saving our kids' lives.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I dont have hiv
Next
infescted??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.