Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Partner Tested Poz
Apr 15, 2006

"resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum." along with edited up-to-date-information.

I had unprotected sex about 2 weeks ago. We had sex first using a condom, then the last 5-10 minutes, we mututally decided to not use a condom...So i came inside. After that, i took a piss, showered, went to bed.

Then in the morning, we get frisky again. After giving me morning head, We fucked again.

Same thing. I take a piss. but i didnt shower right away.

The times we had sex, we used a good amount of lube. There was no forced entry.

We went to go get a rapid test...I came out neg...he came out POZ!

Yesterday, he got his conclusive results that he is in fact, Positive.

Now that i know he truely is poz, what are the chances that i will get HIV? Im very scared but am mentally preparing myself if i do get HIV. Anything thing you say will help ease me. Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

First off, I'm glad your question found its way to the correct forum so that I can respond. We are trying to restrict questions in the Fatigue and Anemia Forum to those individuals who are confirmed to be HIV positive.

To answer your specific question, the estimated per-episode risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal intercourse with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. For unprotected oral sex, the estimated risks are much less 1 per 10,000 exposures to an infected partner for receptive and 0.5 per 10,000 for insertive.

There is no doubt you have placed yourself at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV, from having unprotected sex with a partner who subsequently has tested HIV positive. Consequently, follow-up HIV testing is certainly warranted. It's worth noting that even though you had an undeniable exposure, the odds are still very much in your favor that you did not contract the virus. HIV, fortunately, is not all that easy to acquire. The vast majority of exposures do not lead to transmission. That said, it is somewhat concerning that your partner was unaware of his HIV status. (He's not alone. 25% of the one million HIV-positive folks here in the U.S. are completely unaware they have acquired the virus!) Not knowing his status, your partner obviously was not on HIV medications, which means his HIV viral load was uncontrolled, possibly increasing your risk. The likelihood of HIV transmission with any type of exposure is directly correlated with HIV viral load. Taking all this information into consideration, your HIV risk is real and testing is absolutely warranted; however, the odds remain in your favor.

I'll send you my very best good-luck karma that your follow-up HIV tests will remain negative. I'm also quite confident from this nerve-wracking experience that you've learned a valuable lesson. No matter how frisky you feel in the future, I know you'll never forgo the use of condoms again. It's a lesson I hope those reading this post learn before having to experience it the hard way.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Condom Broke!
Next
condom slippageresubmitted form "the Fatigue and Anemia Forum"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.